Radiation in Medical Imaging has its benefits
For a brief snapshot that shows the power of medical imaging, consider these findings:
- Use of mammography to screen for breast cancer has resulted in a declining death rate, improved survival rate, and better treatment options.1
- Performing coronary CT angiography to examine the heart vessels in patients with chest pain helps guide treatment decisions with high accuracy and avoids costly invasive procedures.2
- Incorporating advanced medical imaging procedures into healthcare has significantly increased life expectancy in the US.3
1. American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2008, Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2008
2. Budoff MJ, Dowe D, Jollis JG, et al. Diagnostic performance of 64-multidetector row coronary computed tomographic angiography for evaluation of coronary artery stenosis in individuals without known coronary artery disease: results from the prospective multicenter ACCURACY (Assessment by Coronary Computed Tomographic Angiography of Individuals Undergoing Invasive Coronary Angiography) trial . J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:1724-1732.
3. Lichtenberg FR. The quality of medical care, behavioral risk factors, and longevity frowth. Int J Health Care Finance Econ. 2011;11:1-34